Video by Audrey Davis-Sivaothy the Author of The Science of Black Hair
Stop hair breakage and retain length. When you comb or touch your afro does it snap and break easily? Are you suffering with breakage from a relaxer? The following practical advice will work towards stopping the breakage.
Having beautiful African American crown of glory has been seen as some kind of fantasy. How can one unlock the secrets of long Black hair? How can one experience the ultimate black hair growth? . Actually, growing black hair is not difficult as it seems. Black hair can and does grow. Yet, certain styling techniques and products are needed to help with growth.
Advice #1: Use the Right Shampooing and Conditioning Techniques
1) Using the right products. Do not use shampoos with sulfates or silicones. It is common that 90% of black people have drier hair compared to Caucasian and Asian hair. Shampoos that contain sulfates, any derivative, glycols, and silicone. These agents take the natural oil away from black hair. This encourage hair breakage, brittleness, and dryness. It can also create scalp conditions for some people.
Tip: Look for Shampoo that is moisturizing.
The main characteristics to look for when purchasing moisturizing shampoo are:
Alcohol-Free Shampoo: The moisturizing shampoo must be gentle on hair to limit losing most of its natural oil. It very important to avoid shampoos with alcohol or its derivatives. These agents are harmful to your hair with continued use, such as dryness.
Select Shampoo with Natural Moisturizing Oil or opt in for Creamier Type of Shampoo. This keeps your hair moisturized longer. Look for moisturizing shampoos that contains natural oils like , coconut oil, avocado, emu oil, grape seed, castor oil, jojoba oil, tea tree oil, olive oil,and argan oil. Avoid using mineral oil shampoo this can lead to dryness and hair feeling lifeless.
pH-Balanced Shampoo: Look for moisturizing shampoo with a pH from 4.5 – 5.5. The natural pH of your hair is about 5. This helps to keep the outer cuticle sealed and maintain the shine of your hair strands to keep at a neutral balance. If the bottle label reads ingredients, such as trimethyl alkonium chloride or ammonium chloride to prevent or eliminate fly away hair. Be aware of those moisturizing shampoos also contain the agent sodium citrate, that releases an increase of acidifying ions when acidity is low and absorbs acid when acidity is very high.
Shampoo your hair weekly: This not only keep your scalp and hair clean. It also, stimulate blood circulation to the scalp, facilitate growth. Remember use the right shampoo to not strip your hair from its natural oils to see growth and less breakage.
Suggested Moisturized Shampoos To Try Below:
Advice #2 Condition Your Natural Hair
Minimize breakage and growth, Very important to condition your hair, from deep conditioning, rinse conditioning, and leave in conditioning. This will give your hair it moisture needs. Remember after washing your hair. Your putting moisture back in. Without moisture your hair will have less natural shine, become dry, and brittle.
Advice # 3: Be careful On How You Comb Your Hair
1) Be careful on how your combing your hair. To lessen breakage, comb your hair from the bottom up to the root using a wide tooth comb, not a fine tooth comb. Section your hair. Apply moisture to your hair, such as misting with water mixed with light conditioner, or Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk to help with detangling. Stop using boar bristles. This is can rip the hair causing breakage.
Advice # 4: Moisturize To Reduce Breakage
2) Moisturize your scalp with light hair oils and butters, not petroleum jelly. Can use, olive oil, jojoba oil, or almond oil.
Advise # 5: Stop Having Styles To Pull On Hair.
1) This goes for tight pony tails, tight braids (especially at the hair line).
Advice # 6: Limit Chemicals and Heat.
1) Limit blowing drying of hair possible to once a month, if not at all longer. Braiding your hair is great alternative to straightening your hair with a blow dryer. Do not braid your hair tight.
2) If hair is colored make sure you follow proper hair care methods taut by your salon to avoid increased breakage, dryness, and brittleness.
What are you doing to stop hair breakage?